Wednesday, March 26, 2014

you bought it.

I have been to a fair amount of auctions in my lifetime. From horse and livestock auctions, to antique auctions  and I'd even gone to a charity bachelor auction with some friends in college. So it wasn't my first rodeo.

 When we walked into the building the auction was being held at, there was about 4 times as many people than the previous auction. That basically told us, that houses were going to be selling fore much, much more than before. But since the houses being auctioned off were located out of town a little way, they were easier to have moved with less restrictions.
We weren't able to snag a seat and stood in the back. I did get myself a cup of coffee and a cookie though. The auctioneer got up and then told everyone the process and asked if this was anyone's' first auction. He let the newbies know that any movement above the waist was considered a legally binding bid. He was kidding...but I've always been terrified to touch my face or hair at an auction because I don't want the auctioneer to think that I am bidding. I mean as much as I'd love that early 19th century dresser... I'm not that into paying an arm and a leg for it. After all the formalities...it was game time.
There were over 30 buildings to be auctioned off in this auction. But lucky for us the house we wanted was near the beginning. The first few buildings were TINY guest cottages and garages. They went for a couple grand each. OUCH. not looking good to get our home for $500 or a couple grand either. But we had our budget worked out and we had a number in mind for what the highest we could go and still be within our budget.
Houses were selling high.... and then ours was up. I don't even know what was happening but there was a huge rush of people bidding. My husband had the bidder number and was standing behind me so I couldn't even see if he was bidding. I didn't want look...the price was climbing higher, and higher. My heart was racing. I couldn't breath normally. A bunch of bidders backed out, but the price was still climbing and it was between us an another bidder. Bidding continued for a bit longer. I didn't even know if we were still in the running. I couldn't look. And then finally i heard the auctioneer cry "SOLD!" and it was sold to us. We were still well below our budget so we were happy with that. But up next for acution was the matching detached shop to our house. We wanted that as well. So here we went again.
The bidding at first was fast and furious again...but then it was down to my husband and another fellow. I was shocked at how the price kept climbing and climbing and climbing. But I was rationalizing in my head that we couldn't build a new one for that price and it DID match the house... Finally the auctioneer cried out again "SOLD!" and it was ours. We came out $1,000 below our max budget for the two structures.
I was dizzy, and my heart was still racing, but I was happy that we got the one we wanted. Apparently a lot of people wanted it too because they left right after we bought the house. When we were filling out the paperwork, and getting our keys, one of the other houses we were interested in sold for $136,000. Everyone that was at the auction was absolutely shocked, and I think that was a record setter for all the flood auctions. It was a nice home...but ouch.
We picked up our keys, and garage door openers and then headed out to check out our new home.
OURS!



3 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I look forward to seeing more of the house and reading about this experience! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently the house is lifted up about 5 feet off it's foundation. So I do have some more posts that I will probably get to tomorrow! It's been quite the process and I just can't wait to get it home!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see more details on the house!

    ReplyDelete